Friday, November 20, 2009

Simple nan gyi thoke

Hi, nice to see all of you again :) I'm back!!!! Nope, i was not on holiday. I was just too lazy to write up a new post and decided to take a short break from blogging. That's it ;)) Let's us get back to my kitchen now. Come on in my Moulmein Kitchen :D



Today i'm making one of my father's favourites as well as my favourite 'Nan gyi thoke'. The word nan gyi refers to the type of noodle, and the word thoke means salad. My mother used 'laksa bee hoon' as i guess this type of noodle is similar to nan gyi . In Singapore, you can buy this noodle either from the wet market or the NTUC. For this recipe, i used very few ingredients. No fancy long list of ingredients. Whatever i have in my kitchen, i make full use of those. I used the leftover chicken curry as the main ingredient for nan gyi thoke.



~Chicken curry recipe~


Cooking Time : 35 - 40mins
Ingredients

300g chicken breasts, cut into bitesize pieces
2 red onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (1/4 teaspoon cumin powder)

1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon ground masala
4 tablespoons cooking oil
seasons to taste


Method
  1. Marinate chicken pieces in turmeric powder, salt and Ajinomoto (you can use sugar if you like) for 15 minutes.
  2. Heat oil in a cooking pan. Add the cumin seeds, onions, garlic, chilli powder and fry until fragrant.
  3. Add the chicken pieces, give it a quick stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
  4. Add 1 1/2 cup of water and cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat.
  5. Add the ground masala and seasons to taste.
  6. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.

~Nan gyi thoke recipe~

Preparation Time : 3-5 mins
Serves : 2-3

Ingredients
1 packet laksa bee hoon
6 tablespoons chicken curry including the oil and curry paste from it.
2 tablespoons toasted chick peas powder
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce (adjust to suit your salty level)
1 teaspoon Ajinomoto
2 tablespoons lemon juice (adjust to suit your sour level)


Method
Throw everything into a big bowl and mix well.
Sprinkle chilli flakes to spice up your salad.
Enjoy!!!!

9 comments:

MaryMoh November 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Great you are back to blogging. Hpe you will keep blogging and share with us your lovely food. I love this type of big bee hoon. I ate a lot when back home. Goes very well with curry. I used to drown my plate of bee hoon with curry sauce...mmmm. I must go and look or this type of bee hoon again. Thanks for sharing.

Moulmein Kitchen November 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Yeah...i do agree with you.
It goes well with curry too.
The famous Katong Laksa...yummy!

လင္းၾကယ္ျဖဴ November 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

It looks good ..
if we mix the noodle salad with The curry together,it would be even better,I guessss!!:)
Have a wonderful day!!
Linn Kyel Phyu

Moulmein Kitchen November 23, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Oh ya, that would be great too ;)

Moulmein Kitchen November 27, 2009 at 7:18 AM  

Hi May Thu
Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Evy December 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

Hi. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

I am so excited to come across this site. I was born in Myitkyina and spent the next 10 years in Rangoon.
Must try this tempting recipe for Chicken Curry.
Can you tell me what the ground masala is - do you mean a tsp of curry power. Also where can I buy the bee hoon noodles in London.
Thanks

Moulmein Kitchen May 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

Hi Roberta,
First of all i would like to apologise to you for my late reply. Also thank you for visiting my food blog :)
The masala i used is from Burma. The brand name is Kalarlay.
It is a special spice mix. Main ingredients included are cummin seeds, green cardamon, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon.

I'm not sure where you can buy bee hoon noodles in London. If there is any asian food market in London, maybe you can get it from there. In Singapore and Malaysia, they use the same type of noodle for their coconut curry noodle (laksa).

Hope this helps.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP